.

“All disease begins in the gut.” – Hippocrates

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Addendum: How I handle cravings, Peanut Butter Brownies (recipe)

In my last post, I gave a pretty sharp call for exercise. There's no substitute for it. And those of us with Crohn's or Colitis, if we are able, will benefit all the more from it. Researchers are finding links between exercise and 'disease' activity; exercise and mental health; exercise and decreased disease abundance of all sorts. Indeed, physical exercise has been shown to increase brain activity, mood, and can help you stay sharp as you age. Doctors are even waking up to the benefits of Yoga. My doctor recently discussed with me a study he saw at a conference 'conclusively' demonstrating direct benefits of Yoga to people with chronic conditions.

That's why I dubbed the URL for this blog SCD for Athletes. We are all athletes in some fashion. Our bodies are meant to move, and we feel better when we do. The SCD is a lifestyle choice. Sure for us with Crohn's or Colitis, it might not feel like much of a choice, but it is a choice. It's a choice to heal naturally, to live vibrantly, and exercise is an essential part of our healthy life choice.

On that note, I'm going to ride my bike home from work today. 14 miles in the rain--because after a year on the SCD, I can.

Onward to health.

No comments:

Post a Comment