.

“All disease begins in the gut.” – Hippocrates

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Short Shorts: Anti-Mycrobial Therapy

I know I'm supposed to be talking about the SCD, but I can't help myself. There are oodles of treatments under trial and in use out there. It's good to know what they are. Here's one to think about.
  • There is controversy over Antimycobacterial therapies and their efficacy in patients with IBD (get an idea of the differing opinions here and here...and here). These therapies (if they can be proven to work) hold the most promise for those with Crohn's. I think if someone can isolate an antibiotic therapy for Crohn's, then doctors may begin see Crohn's (and maybe Colitis too) as an infectious condition rather than a life-long disease. It may also help to restrain overuse of antibiotics, which may be a causative factor in Crohn's and Colitis.
Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment