.

“All disease begins in the gut.” – Hippocrates

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Eating for Endurance Events on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet

I have colitis. I am an athlete. The two shouldn't mix well; however, the SCD diet has given me my life back, after only 5 months on the diet, I'm off all medication and on my way to nomalcy. So now that I'm feeling good (it's been a full year of constant flare up), I've begun to think about competing again. In the past, I've done 12 hr. mountain bike races, and 18-24 hour adventure races. The problem is that now I can't eat any of the things I ate BC (before Colitis). So what will I eat? That's what I hope to work out this winter, while--God and gut willing-- training for an ultramarathon.

Here are my first thoughts on food to take on long (3+ hours) runs, hikes, rides, etc.
1. Bananas work, but shmoosh easily--bag 'em.

2. Medjool dates, nature's gummy bears. More like a fig newton, without the newton.

3. Black bean burritos with cheddar (for really long runs, or long hikes). One caveat--I haven't yet been able to make GOOD tortillas made from almond flour--yet. If anyone has ideas or recipies that work, please let me know.

4. Peanuts (after you’ve been symptom free for at least 3 months)

To drink:
1. 1 part Orange Juice : 1 part Water—this makes a 50/50 mix.
2. I’m working on a SCD friendly gel…stay tuned. If anyone has ideas, please share. As far as I know, this is a new area, that no one's written about.

If anyone knows of an SCD friendly salt tablet, I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment